Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Return to the Shadows on the Trail Site – Part One


Figure one. The 1.6 inch long Lookingbill dart point found on July 9, 2015
at the Shadows on the Trail Site.   

On July 9, 2015 I had the opportunity to return to the Shadows on the Trail Site, the prehistoric site that yielded the Ice Age Alibates discoidal biface, the prehistoric artifact that inspired my prehistoric adventure series called the SHADOWS ON THE TRAIL TRILOGY. You can read more about the Alibates discoidal biface and the SHADOWS ON THE TRAIL TRILOGY in other blog postings on this internet site.      
I discovered the Shadows on the Trail site in northeastern Colorado five 
Figure two.  Click to Order This Book  
days before Christmas on December 20, 1986. I remember that bumpy jeep trail leading to the small ranch house as if it were yesterday. I drove my car very slowly as I made my way five miles in from the graveled county road. About two hundred yards from the ranch house, the road crossed a dry creek bed filled with loose sand. As I approached the dry creek bed, I punched the accelerator on the front-wheel-drive car and the car slid across the sandy bottom of the creek to the other side. When I finally reached the ranch house, a humongous St. Bernard dog was there to greet my car. The dog sniffed and slimed my driver’s side window as it attempted to identify me as either a friend or a foe. Needless to say, I remained in the car until the rancher’s wife came out of the small ranch house and called off her intimidating beast. For awhile, I thought I was in the 1983 movie Cujo about a rabid St. Bernard that destroys everything in its path. Once I gained permission from the rancher and his wife to walk their hills and valleys, I took off and I am still amazed at the prehistoric artifacts I found on that first visit to that special place.     








Over the years, I have returned to this prehistoric site often while watching the ranch change hands three times. Since my initial visit, I have collected and documented between five hundred to a thousand artifacts from the site. I have collected diagnostic prehistoric artifacts from the First Americans around 13,000 years ago to artifacts of the Indian tribes in historical times.
Figure three. The eroded embankment where I
found the 7,000 year old Lookingbill dart point.
Figure four. Do you see the Lookingbill point?
I returned to the ranch on July 9, 2015 and I was not disappointed. One of the first artifacts I found was a 1.6 inch long Lookingbill dart point made around 7,000 years ago, 3,700 years after the Folsom People of Shadows on the Trail Trilogy fame. Dr. George Frison named Lookingbill points in 1983 for a point type found in northwest Wyoming. Frison classified the Lookingbill points in the Early Plains Archaic Period. Lookingbill points were the first points on the high plains of the Rocky Mountains to be found in appreciable numbers associated with manos and metates.


Lookingbill points were thin, small to medium - sized dart points with triangular blades and side notches. Shoulders were sharp and angular. Notches were rounded and sometimes close to the basal edge. Basal edges were straight to slightly concave. 

The Lookingbill point I found had heavy grinding and polishing done on the basal edge, accounting for some of the basal concavity.





Figure five. 1.6 inch long Lookingbill dart point












                                  
I cannot wait to find out what I discover next time at the Shadows on the Trail Site! Stay tuned for more highlights of this July visit to the Shadows on the Trail site. 


In the meantime, do you need a good book series to read this summer? Try the SHADOWS ON THE TRAIL TRILOGY, you will be glad you did. Click the links below each book cover to order the books from Amazon.com.  

CLICK TO ORDER 
CLICK TO ORDER